Will your mulch encourage termites to live by my house?
- In general, the heat generated from the composting process will kill just about anything in the mulch piles. Also, a thin layer of mulch is not an ideal environment for termites. They prefer dark, solid and isolated environments.
I have what looks like dog vomit growing on my mulch.
- After an extended rainy period it is common to have fungus and mushrooms growth on our mulch. It is not harmful to plants but is unsightly. It is easily removed with a shovel. To help avoid the growth of this mold and other fungi, avoid applying the mulch more than 2 inches thick.
Are the dyes that you use in your mulch safe for plants, animals or people?
- Kurtz Bros. colored mulch produced with Heartland Enriched Colorants and are safe for use around the home. Independent laboratory tests have confirmed that colored mulch presents no more concern for children or pets than regular mulches. Heartland avoids using any hazardous or threatening material in its colorants. To make colorants, Heartland Enriched Colorants uses materials also used in products like lipsticks, cosmetics and food containers.
- Heartland has always used water- based formulations (rather than solvent-based), and periodically the company invites independent laboratories to test the colorants to confirm that its Colored Mulch is non-toxic. http://www.colorenrichedmulch.com/is- colored-mulch-safe.php
Are the dyes you use in your mulch going to permanently stain my property?
- Once mulch colorant is locked onto wood fiber, the color permanently bonds and does not wash off. However, even using proper application procedures, stains can occur. Even if the color looks dry, precautions should be taken to avoid staining driveways, sidewalks. Mulch should be laid on tarp when possible, and water should be applied to the surfaces before mulch is set down. Once the mulch is distributed, wash the area or tarp with warm, soapy water to prevent the color from permanently staining the surface. In addition, to prevent staining your skin, wear gloves during the application process.
Are your mulches treated with any chemicals?
- Our mulches are not treated with any sort of chemicals or pesticides. The composting process naturally kills bacteria, seeds and insects.
Misconceptions abound regarding compost, but with a little knowledge it’s easy to see the value in the benefits of compost and preserving our valuable natural resources.
Can I use compost as mulch?
- Absolutely! In addition to holding in moisture and deterring weed growth our Earth Blend Leaf Compost also provides important macro and micro nutrients to help plants grow healthy and strong.
What’s that smell?
- Regardless of the source, composting, organic matter will release an odor during the composting process. It’s true with hardwood mulch, animal manure, yard waste and other types of compost. But that’s an indication of the beneficial activity going on within the compost. A slight odor will remain until it is spread, tilled, or watered in and will quickly diminish within a day or two.
Is it hot?
- The composting process produces heat which is the property that kills many of the weed seeds, bugs and other undesirables. It’s generally recommended that all compost should be watered in after application. If used as a lawn topdressing, water in twice a day for the first week to avoid plant stress and to assure the nutrients get into the root zone.
What’s the down side to using compost?
- It may be hard to believe but there isn’t a down side! Through the use of recycling and the beneficial use of organic waste, we are all helping to relieve the growing problem of overcrowded landfills. And compost will help you grow healthier plants with larger, more colorful flowers and greater vegetable yields!
I normally buy bagged mulch. How can I figure out how mulch bulk mulch to order?
- Please refer to our cubic yard calculator page.
How many square feet will one yard cover?
- At a depth of 2 inches, 1 cubic yard will cover 162 square feet. For more conversions please refer to our calculator page.
Yard Waste Drop Off
For all yard waste drop off questions please refer to our yard waste page
How long does it take to get my delivery?
- We can typically get a delivery out within 24 hours. Please give us 1 day to set up your delivery.
Can I get two materials delivered at the same time?
- Unfortunately we are unable to separate the dump truck bed in order to deliver two products at the same time. We will need to set up a delivery for each material. However, we can schedule your deliveries back to back.
Can the truck dump in my back yard?
- Our trucks are unable to drive off any paved road or path and will not be able to fit through gated fences.
For additional delivery questions please refer to our delivery page